Monday, February 28, 2011

Homemade Birthday Pizza

Last week was my younger brother's birthday. He wanted pizza, but we ended up making reservations at a local restaurant that doesn't serve it. To try to compromise a little we made homemade pizza that afternoon. We ate small squares of the pizza as appetizers and then walked to the restaurant for dinner.

Now, I haven't made homemade pizza in years, however I didn't worry because my older brother was around to help and we cheated a little by buying pre-made dough, bottled sauce, and pre-grated cheese, so it was really a matter of assembly. We used dough from Bertucci's Market, Ragu Pizza Sauce, and Sargento Mozzarella. We didn't really fool around with toppings. I thought a simple cheese pizza would make everyone happy, though I did add a little bit of minced garlic. The pizza turned out really well. I think having the appropriate proportions of sauce and cheese are important. When I would make homemade pizza as a child I would dump a TON of sauce and cheese on the dough and it would just not be good. I think in order to have a really saucy or cheesy pizza you need a proper pizza oven, which we just don't have. Anyway, the pizza turned out well and it was quickly consumed as we sipped our cocktails. Nom! Can't wait to make pizza again!

1 comment:

  1. We sea people here in the big apple are jealous. We would love some garlicky pizza squares when we see you next. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete